November 21, 2017
Recently, some media report that He Zhiping, Secretary General of the China Energy Fund of Hong Kong (hereinafter referred to as the Fund), was prosecuted by the U.S. judicial authorities for the so-called “alleged bribery of African officials”. These reports have aroused social concerns. The relevant information is as follows:
1. As a non-governmental think tank, the Fund has been actively promoting international energy research for many years. It has been conducting public diplomacy, promoting global energy cooperation and cultural exchange, setting up the United Nations Energy Award, and sponsoring the solar power ferry program of SINTEF Norway and the American Non-governmental organization “We Care Solar”. As a result of its research and development projects, such as portable solar power supply systems, the Fund is granted by the UN ECOSOC with special Non-governmental consultative organization status. It has received wide recognition from the international community and achieved positive social achievements with prominent reputation.
2. The Fund, as a non-profit organization, strictly complies with laws and regulations of different nations relating to non-governmental and non-profit organizations. It does not have the commercial interests involved in the relevant reports, nor does it authorize Mr He Zhiping and any other individuals to conduct such commercial activities.
3. We are paying great attention to the development of the incident. At present, Mr. He’s lawyer has submitted a rebuttal to the judicial authorities of the United States and upheld the legitimate legal rights of Mr He Zhiping in accordance with international laws and local regulations.
4. We request the relevant U.S. department to protect Mr He Zhiping’s legitimate rights in strict accordance with the relevant terms of international laws during the investigation.
5. This statement does not represent Mr He Zhiping’s personal position. The Fund is learning about details of the event through relevant channels.
Thank you all for the care and support extended to the Fund.
China Energy Fund of Hong Kong